Groundhog Day – Mike Underhill
Sermon Preached on February 2, 2014
Notes & Scriptures
- Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world
- Be transformed by the renewing of your mind!
- We are TRANSFORMED according to God’s will so that we may know it!
- There is a pattern that exists that is opposed to God’s will!
- We are called to be changed and transformed in his kingdom!
- A pattern that glorifies God
- The pattern of God’s kingdom is to overcome sin!
- The amazing transformation
- The light of the disciples in the darkness of the beach
- You don’t see it – until you are transformed!
- The power starts when your life changes
- Do you have the COURAGE to change?
- Are you willing to take a step in a direction you’ve never been before?!
You Gotta Have Faith
- CJ knew that he hadn’t been praying the way that he needs to
- CJ went to God – and was transformed
- When we don’t fight this battle with spiritual weapons of prayer
- We will definitely lose the battle
- CJ had to know before he went to God consistently in prayer
- That he was not ready to commit to God
- CJ’s response: he went to the bathroom and started to pray!
- Even after hours of studying late into the night
- If you read something in the Bible, would you change it immediately?
- Someone with faith knows that God does the impossible!
- When you read the Bible, do you KNOW this changes NOW?
- Do you believe and think that is enough to save you?
- Does dead faith exist?
- Do you come to church every week, listen to Christian music?
- Do you refuse to curse, and help people?
- Does that save you?
- Or, do you have faith that the Bible will transform you and take away all of your sin?
- Mike talks about the impurity that plagued his life!
- The only thing that could change him was faith
- Deep in his heart, that he could obey the Bible and BE TRANSFORMED in his mind and heart
- Faith AND obedience take away the sin that plagues our lives!
- One of the girls at SFSU used to be atheist until she came out to Bible talk
- She started studying the book of John
- She began to have faith!
- She began to see the power of the Bible to change our lives!
- She used to hate people and dismiss those that she didn’t agree with
- Now she is transforming into a loving person!
- Do we believe the Bible will transform us like it transforms an atheist to a believer?
- Why? Because we read it everyday?
- BELIEVE WHAT YOU ARE READING and you will obey!
2 Corinthians 12:7
- We ALL have weakness!
- We should not be surprised when we fail!
- As a sinner, we are WEAK – part of us is incomplete, insufficient, and inadequate
- As a weak person, you can’t fix yourself!
- Left by yourself, or taking a break, you do NOT get better
- If you have more time in life, that does not mean you are going to heal yourself!
- God created the universe as imperfect!
- “Even the stars…” says the book of Psalms!
- Even the greatest ideas and views and discoveries and relationships are imperfect!
- Only GOD is perfect
- Non-disciples: go to God ASAP!
- Disciples: stay with God and focus on him everyday!
- We don’t get the same day over and over again
- Go to God
- We are weak
- God will make us strong if we rely on him
- Become super reliant on God and each other!