Making Special Missions Special – Mike Underhill
Sermon Preached on November 17, 2013
Notes & Scriptures
– Widow’s offering…
– This wasn’t a tithe by the widow; it was a special offering (missions contribution)
– Why did she give all when she had nothing to give?
– What was her heart when she gave?
– How did Jesus know when she gave all?
– Why didn’t Jesus stop her from giving all she had?
WHY DO WE GIVE?
Ecclesiastes 10:19 – money is answer for everything
1 Corinthians 16:1-2
1 Corinthians 9:1-4
1 Timothy 5:17-18
– The more staff that we have, the more the church will be strengthened
– Rents and admin costs, web expenses, and benevolence in and outside the church
WHAT HEART DO WE NEED TO GIVE?
2 Corinthians 9:6-11
– The generous giver reaps generously
– We think if God gives generously then I’ll give generously!
– But it’s not being generous when you give from what you were giving first (reap what you sow)
– First you sow and then God gives back!
– The blessings start in your heart first to be generous!
– God promises to bless your life – but you can’t have expectations of God
– Giving sacrificially doesn’t make you struggle… Giving sacrificially exposes your heart
2 Corinthians 8:1-7
– Excel in giving …disciples shine in everything!
– Do we excel in everything?!
– Because we call ourselves disciples
– Go beyond your abilities and excel (that takes faith and love for God)
HOW MUCH SHOULD WE GIVE?
– Tithing started back in Genesis 14
– Tithe is 10% (also defined as a small portion)
– Tithing was taken seriously by God!
– If not a tithe, it’s considering robbing God!
– When you’re not giving a tithe, you’re not being trustworthy to God
– Take care of God’s “priests” so you will be taken care of you (the people)
– The Pharisees have with corrupted hearts
– Jesus didn’t stop the widow from giving, because He knew that this was opening the door for God to take care of the widow
– Special missions is special because it’s relying completely on God
– Our righteousness needs to surpass the Pharisees’
– In the Old Testament, they followed a tithe
– In the New Testament, the focus is sacrificial giving
1 Samuel 8:14-17
– Living beyond our means
– Americans are miserable because they’re told that they always need more!
– When you’re not happy, it’s because you don’t realize you have everything you need to be happy!
– God WILL take care of you!
– Debt is not good
– Everything belongs to God
– Watch out for greed
– Excessive desire to acquire more than one needs or deserves!
– Are you an advertisers worst nightmare or best dream?
– Jesus didn’t have anything outwardly to draw people towards him
– Greed comes from self-gratification
– Greed keeps you out of Heaven – greed is a form of worship!
– Friendship with world is hatred towards God
– We attempt to justify what we have!
– Are you obsessed with abundance or obsessed with God?
– True happiness comes from focus on God
– Think about your hardest day in the world which is nothing compared to the amazing life as a disciple!
– We need to get perspective about what’s really hard to do in our lives!