Spirit of the Lord – Mike Underhill
Sermon Preached on November 3, 2013
Notes & Scriptures
1 Samuel 10:1-11
– Old Testament view of the Holy Spirit was that when the Holy Spirit came upon you, your heart changed!
– 500 years after 1 Samuel 10, the Spirit wasn’t just for kings anymore
– God was going to give His Spirit to all…
Acts 2:13-17; 36-38
– Verse 17 – God says He will pour out His Spirit on all people!
– To the Jewish mindset, this is more mind-blowing … God was going to put His Spirit in all!
– verse 17 – says the world cannot accept him/he – therefore the Spirit is not an “it”…it’s a him.
– The world doesn’t understand the Spirit, hence we aren’t understood.
– The Spirit is also referred to as a Counselor
– There are only 2 states people can be in – sinful nature or spiritual nature
– The only way to receive the Spirit is through repentance, baptism, and then you receive Spirit
– We share the sufferings with God in order to share in His glory – and those sufferings are worth it!
– Jesus suffered too, but He overcame (it’s an honor to share in Christ’s sufferings)
– The glory is that we will be able to be in Heaven forever with Christ
– The Spirit will help us in our weakness! – and to be faithful!
– When you live according to your sinful nature, you will die and NOT inherit the Kingdom!
– God’s Spirit does not lead you to do impure things (not just sexual…includes anger and hatred!)
– Patience is enduring suffering without complaining!
– Self-control is mastering your own body!
– Who leads the relationship between you and your body? Is your body leading you? (Overeating, oversleeping, etc.)
– The Holy Spirit is self-controlled – not someone flailing uncontrollably with their body or emotions!
1 Corinthians 3:10-17
– It costs money (costly stone) in order to build the Kingdom of God!
– Each one of us is a temple for God’s Spirit.
– Are we building each other up (a.k.a. building up the temple) of God?
2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1
– God’s temple cannot be yoked with an unbeliever!
– There is no fellowship between God and Satan (therefore we cannot yoke with ungodly things either!)
– If you desecrate the temple of God…you also will be destroyed!
– Nicodemus was focused on the physical (Gal 5:19-sinful nature gives birth to sinful nature)
– Sinful nature vs spiritual nature – they both give birth but to different things!
– Spirit gives birth to spirit – you don’t know who will be born of the spirit!
– Love everyone the same!
– God is the gardener of the vine and He will do the pruning!
– He prunes people out where the Spirit is no longer present!
– We don’t understand the pruning!
Revelation 5:1-14; 6:1-2
– 7 is God’s number of perfection – it’s God’s Spirit
– Jesus unleashed the Spirit of God – through His being slain